Unbeknownst to them, however, is the discussion that is occurring below Radiant Garden's Castle, faintly echoing through the maze-like hallways leading to the sterile coldness that is Ansem's Study. The humming of the study's electrical lamps and the semi-constant beeping of computers are the only things that can be heard after Kairi, one of the Keyblade Wielders who helped save the Worlds, has made a proposal regarding her future.

"Kairi, are you sure about this?"

The silence after Kairi's words is interrupted by Riku's uncertain question. The background noise only serves to make things feel more uncomfortable.

"Yes, Riku. If there are any clues as to Sora's whereabouts, I'm determined to do anything. I don't mind." Kairi replies without looking him in the eye.

"It's not about you minding or not, who knows how long it'll take. I don't want you to lose so much time-"

"It's my decision. He saved me, and now I have to do the same for him-"

"Kairi, we have no idea how long it could take, you could lose days, weeks, months-"

"Riku, really, it's alright-"

"You could lose years!"

After Riku's loud interruption, one of Ansem's students, Ienzo, moves to try and calm both of them down. However, he is quickly dismissed by Even, "We'd only be making it worse, it's not our place."

After a few moments of silence, Riku begins to plead, "In the worst case, where you don't find anything, it'd be around a year of time that you'll have missing from your life-"

"You were gone from the islands just as long!" Kairi suddenly retorts.

A thought crosses Riku's mind. She's right.

Meeting his eyes, Kairi continues, "Every day I thought about you and Sora, who I couldn't even remember the name of at the time! You vanished so suddenly, I thought I did something wrong or something horrible had happened!" The suddenness of her words stuns everyone else into silence.

Her voice, now wobbly, pierces the quiet once more. "Some people even thought you were gone. Every time I mentioned the two of you, I'd get strange looks. I was the only one back home who remembered Sora! I thought something was wrong with me!" She crumples into herself slightly, and begins to sniffle.

"I wish- I wish you at least came back to the Islands for a bit, just so I knew it wasn't all in my head!"

"I... I'm sorry, Kairi, I just- It was too dangerous for me to go back home-"

"I know. I know. Just- let me do this." As she finishes, Kairi turns around, facing away from Riku completely.

"Fine." After a moment, he fixes his gaze on Ienzo and Even. "Take care of her. Don't let her get hurt, please."

Ienzo, slightly stumbling, replies, "O-of course!" When Riku makes his exit, he hears Even's voice. "Ienzo, call for Ansem the Wise, we'll need his expertise. Are you ready to begin preparations, young Kairi?"

While Riku doesn't hear her response, she must've said yes if the noises from nearby machinery are anything to go by. I could've handled that better. Ugh, I'm such an idiot, the boy thinks to himself as he makes his way out through the corridors and into the stairs heading to the central plaza.

Feeling angry, probably at himself, he finds himself looking for a way to get rid of the pent-up energy. He figures some manual labor would get his mind off of things, and so he decides to check in on the Radiant Garden Restoration Committee to see if he can help with anything. Alas, it was late in the day, and all work had already been distributed.

The early winter sun was setting quickly, and it was getting colder by the minute. A quick jog would have to do.


CONTINUE